Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cherating; Kuantan Pahang

On the 2nd of Feb/08, me & a few of my online members of Bidayuh Info decided to pack our bags & head out to Cherating, Kuantan by car pooling. Bidayuh Info is an online group of mostly Bidayuh from Sarawak, Malaysia. You can get to know about Bidayuh in other blogs The Bidayuh Take or the simple testimonial on the group here.

Our first meeting point was Genting Sempah, where we had a hearty breakfast. I had nasi lemak with a sliced of marinated chicken & super spicy sambal.

This would be a start to our enjoyable dining plans ahead. Though there are some complaint of the super spicy food which end up some of us peeking the washroom longer than planned.

But we went on our journey using the Karak Highway; stopping for a while at a rest station.
The journey breezed on with me car pooling with my long time pal Barbara aka Babe & her fiance, Joneses on the wheels.

I looked out the windows enjoying the sights of lush greeneries lining the roadside. But in due time, neither the trees or the blaring hip hop music on the stereo would stop me & Babe drifting to sleep.Being a true gentleman, Joneses kept his attention on the road, driving the compact Kancil towards Kuantan.

Around 12 p.m we reached Cherating zone but the group decided to go for lunch first. Set out for a famous restaurant in Chukai; we anticipated a rare recipe of baked crabs.

Wheezing through the slow moving traffic, Joneses found his way to Chukai & we had our second enjoyable meal for the day.

And what a meal that was! Restoran Malaysia is an awesome place famous for its baked crabs & fresh seafood.Though short on complex interior design, the restaurant aka coffee shop styled are basked in simple white crisp interior with a particular wall decoration. Shells of tiger prawns with price attached?

Meal was done slowly, as it is, due to its reputation. But our merry group find our own entertainment by teasing each other, the 'many layered' fruit juice & even the lady owner. Earning a few strange looks from other customers and an amused lady.

When the food came, the wait was really worthwhile. To taste something out of the ordinary and seafood that are almost unbelievable fresh. We had the famous baked crab,clams,fried chilli prawns & steamed fish; all names I'd forgotten to take note.

It was one heck of a lunch treat & was more a treat as one of our member decided to paid the bill himself. That earned him a 'kow tow' from us.

After that, we stopped for a more humble setting by the roadside to experience the famous Terengganu Sata;fresh minced fish wrapped in pandan leaves & barbequed over hot coals. Set in triangular shape a small piece of very spicy chilli was put inside. So you'll have a contradictory taste of sweet fresh fish and hot chilli. Again the taste was fantastic.
For a moment, I began to wonder my taste had something to do with getting out from the more dusty KL to a fresher Terengganu air.

Then after our short 'desert' we headed out to our chalets at Cherating Bayview Resort. It was a little confusing to find the place as it was nicely tucked somewhere among other chalets reached only by dirt sandy roads. Somewhere nearby was a Muslim graveyard, so for a moment we thought we've made a wrong turn. But the chalets was nearby and due to the greeneries nobody really noticed the graveyard. And it was quite far too.

Priced at RM135 for its two Queen sized bedroom with attached bathroom, the chalets were clean and comfortable. A very wise choice, I must say. I would recommend it to others. In fact I heard it recommended by expats to our very own Uncle Bob. The area were enclosed in wire fence and the beach were just a very short walking distant.

After unpacking, we headed out to the beach. The water were too tempting that I decided to take a swim. But later retreated as the current was quite strong.

Then we had fun posing on the beach. Photos of Willy conveniently sun bathing for all to see were posted several times on our forum.
The guys were enjoying their half nakedness under the cool sun. The ladies also had fun posing & enjoying some female bonding.

I was drenched in salt water but I really couldn't care less. However, I do realise my cloth are not water resistant and definitely see through when wet, so I made a hasty retreat to my room to change.

At one point, me and another member, Herman ran after a moving 'entity' that we later found out a strange plant blown by the wind. I felt I had a 'hilarious' run but what the heck. Feeling the excitemennt of a child for that one brief moment.
Later, I passed my time on the chalets ground as I snapped some more photos. I was joined by Agustus as we took the chalets surroundings and later discovered a family of monkeys nearby.
Some of the members decided to have a swim at the swimming pool but I preferred to stay in the room instead. I still yearn for the sea water but it was beginning to rain so I opted resting.

In the evening, we grouped again & had a good talk at the receptions area. The ladies were having a blast as we exchanged joke and the word 'Koteh' comes out. Spontaneity were alway the best thing as me,Babe,Junett,Jasmine,Carol and Cat broke out in laughters overriding the guys group nearby.

Then we head out for dinner; another set of enjoyable meal and then seek out entertainment for the night. This however turns out a bit frustrating as we moved from one spot to another. In the end, we ended up in a rather dinghy Karaoke room. As I belted out Indonesian song, struggling with a bad microphone & a bad voice to boot, I was a bit surprised it didn't actually rained.

The stars were bright as we headed back around midnight. I wanted to stray to the beach but it was pitch dark and I'm sure the gate was closed. So I tucked in with Babe as Jasmine decides to join some members for a late supper.

When she came back and knocked the door, a surprised, sleepy, confused Junett added a another funny episode for the trip. Waking up in a strange room, she woke up asking me where is she. I think at that brief time she also couldn't recognise me. Me, being a light sleeper, was also a bit surprised and confused. Staring at a long haired lady staring back at you in the dark was not something somebody should wake up to.

But it was in seconds, as I processed the fact that Jasmine was outside and I groggily open the door. Only the next morning, we found ourselves amused by the incidents.

Babe however, was sound asleep and I don't think she'd known.

Morning came and we all woke later than expected with Ejol knocking our windows and we simply ignoring him. But somehow, we still manage to grouped together again for another fantastic breakfast at Hai Peng Coffee Shop in Chukai. I ordered nasi lemak and a dose of recommended Vietnamese Coffee. And some buns with homemade 'kaya' or sweet paste.





The coffee was done with its filter on top. Served piping hot. Complimenting the kaya bun. Thanks to Jeffrey for recommending that.

In fact, it was so good that I ended buying a box of Hai Peng coffee.

Then car pooling with Willy, me and Babe made a detour to the famous Awana Hotel and then a U turn, stopping to buy some 'keropok lekor.' Keropok lekor are minced fresh fish enveloped in flour to be fried in oil. I bought some lekor for my housemates and the special chilli paste.

After packing, I took some time for more photos with Jasmine and a little time alone at the beach. I stood there under the sun, feeling the energy of nature flowing into me as I walked barefoot on the sand. Call me strange but I do feel that I'm like a rechargeable battery sometime. Funny, under the sun I was recharge.


By 1.30 p.m, we packed our bags and headed back to Kuala Lumpur; again Joneses on the wheel.

We decided to take the Pantai Timur Highway but Babe compact Kancil (Joneses, the driver. :-o ) made a wrong turn and our little group of three was cut off from the main group. Luckily, we found our way back through an opening and a serious reversed drive. Again something of the trip worth remembering.

We reached Temerloh rest station and had our good byes for the day. Later, after a brief lunch, we picked up Agustus at Genting Sempah and proceeded back to Babe's place.

And finally worn out, Babe took the wheel from Joneses and we arrived at 7 p.m. One the way back, we noted pelicans perching on lightings poles. That was a rare sight. Four or five pelicans perched with their long legs on the roadside poles. It was almost statue like but it was moving in the slow rain. I bet they are migrating & couldn't find trees to rest.

Too bad my camera couldn't snap that moment. It was raining, cloudy & my little Olympus are unfortunately not endowed with such special specs to take better photos.

After taking his car, Agustus dropped me off later at my place. I settled for the night with the lingering taste of fresh crabs, the smell of hot Vietnamese Coffee and the soft swaying of the sea.

A short but memorable road trip with amazing group of people. I'm looking forward for another.

Check out the whole album here.

9 comments:

  1. Kenak sik ajak aku? Jaik kau....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kau makin montel la Jac. Mauk kau makan Appeton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rupa-rupanya org BI ada siya. Apa sik banyak org lah? Ingat banyak tek?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saya dengar orang dayak kuat minum. Amoi pun cantik-cantik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always great to have your company. Your bubbly and cheerful character lightens up the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. apa sik update2 gik blog tok? ne gambar2 JB trip ne?

    ReplyDelete
  7. aduss pecah rahsia aku..kuikuiuki...

    ReplyDelete