Friday, September 30, 2011

Sleeping in LCCT Kuala Lumpur

There were only two flights from Miri to Kuala Lumpur by Air Asia on that day, way back in August 2010. One was in the afternoon another was at night; arriving at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal Kuala Lumpur (LCCT KL) by midnight. I wanted to spend longer time with my family so I took the night flight. Anyway, the prospect of staying overnight at the airport itself is strangely appealing.



So after my one week hiatus, I arrived in KL just after midnight. I met a guy on flight that actually offered me a ride home after I told him my plan. Sure, you’ll say that it would be dumb of me to follow a stranger. But he was a Sarawakian too and he gave his business card. Then again when I looked back, it doesn’t seem wise to even consider that option.

Anyway, I decided to still sleep at the airport itself. So there I was looking around a still busy hub. At 12.45 am there are still transportations going to KL. Buses are moving along and taxis are rampant by the sideways. There are a few foreigners still moving around. Some I think are Australian, a few guys probably from France, two businessmen from United State and a family from Middle East. I think some of them opted for an overnight stay at a hotel near LCCT Kuala Lumpur.


I look at the bus schedule and they are still taking passengers up until 1.00 am. Eateries were still open and at LCCT KL, you can actually 24hours McDonald, Kentucky Fried Chickens, Starbucks, Old Town and nearby there is a food court known as Food Garden.

But it was really cold so I dismiss it as a good place to sleep. Though I saw a few people had set their ‘sleeping arrangement’ there; form by their backpacks and I saw somebody unrolling a sleeping bag.

I went to enjoy coffee and burgers at McDonald. Saw some people already slumping over the tables at the corner. Not a good place to sleep too unless you like to hear others chatting over your heads and staff walking around cleaning up.

I saw some kind of mural on and decided to leave my own mark there.See whether you can spot my signature among the hundreds.
Around 2 am , I walked around to catch some more photos but my camera batteries are dead. Another 30 minutes of more wandering till I find a solution for that. An open electrical socket at the arrival section. And to me the arrival section is a good place to sleep too. It was an open space with chairs that could be arrange. It was cool but not freezing. More like minded people already set up their sleeping bags at some corners. There were even some police officers patrolling around so it was quite safe. You know, I did notice some people actually slept outside the terminal. It looks okay but I felt it was safer inside. You can opt for the outside space which are warmer but make sure you are in a group and not going solo like me.

I arranged some chairs as my ‘bed’ but I didn’t sleep for I need to recharge my camera. I think I finally went to sleep around 3 a.m. It wasn’t really comfortable and I wished I had my sleeping bag so I could sleep on the floor. It was quite but I can hear some people still moving around and talking. Though I’m not used to it I manage to sleep a few hours.

I woke up around 6 a.m, Took a picture of my self made bed, freshen up in the bathroom and catch a bus going back to Kuala Lumpur. The bus ride took around two hours so I manage to catch some more sleep too.

If you’re not a backpacker, then you might think I was silly to sleep at the airport when I actually have transport to go back home. But some experience is just worth experiencing. At least, I won’t be anxious next time to sleep at another airport when I go for travelling.

So here my infamous bed for the night.



Low Cost Carrier Terminal Kuala Lumpur.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. Gelenggang Holidays provides Transit stay from 7pm till 7am for only RM139.00 per 4 persons.
    Transport is free from Arport to Hotel to Airport . Visit www.gelenggang.com for details.

    ReplyDelete